If you had damage to your property as a result of Hurricane Irma, filing a claim may be confusing. We talk to insurance expert and agent John Toomer and ask him what to do if there’s property damage. Here’s what he advises before filing a claim:

  1. Call your insurance agent and/or company first to report losses
  2. Prevent further damage to the area affected. i.e. secure with a tarp over a hole to prevent further leaking.
  3. Have your insurance company evaluate damage before arranging repairs to ensure that the work will be covered under your policy.
  4. Get at least three written, itemized estimates or bids on repairs.

Also, be weary of scam artists and contractors knocking on your door. Review all documents before signing, and do not sign over benefits.

Agent John Toomer is the owner of My Reliant Insurance agency in Palm Harbor. They think it's important for you to fully understand your coverage options and the details of your policy, which is why their agents take the time to educate clients. For more information go to www.myreliantinsurance.com