JACKSONVILLE, Fla.—Eight people had to be hospitalized during Hurricane Matthew for carbon monoxide poisoning after a generator was turned on between two apartment buildings Friday night, authorities say.

It is extremely important to remember - for your safety and the safety of others - that you should only ever turn on a generator in a well-ventilated area. Otherwise, you might fatally harm someone you care about.

The conditions of the victims were not known, first-responders say.

All eight transported were at the Pointe Sienna apartment complex on Powers Avenue.