Pasco County sheriff's deputies say a 12-year-old boy has been charged with a felony after making a false bomb threat to his school.
The seventh-grader at R.B. Stewart Middle School, whose name is being withheld by 10News WTSP because of his age, allegedly told classmates and his substitute teacher, "I have a bomb! I have a bomb!"
The student indicated the bomb was in his backpack and at one point held out what was identified as the end of a pencil as if it were the detonator, according to deputies. He then approached his teacher and asked him if he wanted "to do the honors."
The student also told a fellow student that he had to move his backpack away from him "because of the blast radius" of his bomb, deputies said.
The student was detained and no bomb was found. In an interview he admitted to making the statements and said he was only "joking around."
A law went into effect on Oct. 1 making school weapons threats a second-degree felony, and several Bay area students have been arrested under the law. On Wednesday, a Ridgewood High School student was arrested after allegedly telling students he was going to "shoot up the school," and last month a 12-year-old middle school student in Pasco was arrested after allegedly posting a threat online.