PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. -- A man who was served eviction papers Tuesday morning opened fire on a Pinellas County Sheriff's Office deputy.

Sheriff Bob Gualtieri addressed reporters about the shooting Tuesday afternoon and said that around 9:30 a.m. deputies delivered eviction papers to Larry Dennis Hoad, 65, at his residence at 4809 46th Avenue in Lealman.

Gualtieri said the deputies were called back to the residence about 12:50 p.m. by a report of gunshots.

Larry Hoad

Just prior to sheriff's Sgt. Matthew McLane's arrival, Hoad had reportedly fired at three fellow residents and a painter at the residence, injuring one.

McLane found Hoad walking along 47th Way armed with a 9mm handgun and a hunting rifle.

McLane issued verbal commands for Hoad to drop his weapons. Hoad disregarded Sergeant McLane's commands and instead fired two shots at McLane, striking his cruiser and penetrating the front and rear driver-side doors. After being fired upon, McLane returned fire, striking Hoad in the torso and in the arm, incapacitating him.

Hoad was taken to Bayfront Medical Center, where he was to undergo surgery. When he is released, he will be charged with three counts of attempted murder and two counts of shooting into an occupied dwelling.

Deputies determined that prior to McLane arriving on scene, Hoad fired multiple shots at his neighbor, 30-year-old Shawn Smith who lived in the same triplex. Smith was found at his residence suffering from multiple gunshot wounds and was transported to Bayfront Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

Deputies determined that Hoad then went to a neighboring residence at 4813 46th Ave. N. and fired multiple rounds into the neighbor's house and unoccupied vehicle. The homeowner, 73-year-old David Foreman, was inside the residence at the time and was uninjured.

The investigation also revealed that Hoad fired multiple rounds at 69-year-old Allen R. Cameron, who was painting at 4809 46th Ave. N. Cameron fled and was uninjured.

McLane was not injured in the exchange of gunfire, but two rounds went into his patrol vehicle. The 38-year-old deputy joined the force in 2004. He was placed on routine paid administrative leave while the incident is investigated.