Clearwater, Florida - A retired police officer is dead and two young girls are in the hospital following a crash in Clearwater on Tuesday morning.

70-year-old Doug Carey had been on the force for about 20 years and was now working as a school crossing guard.

Police say Carey was on the sidewalk at the corner of Belcher Road and Gulf to Bay Boulevard when a black Cadillac driven by Julious Johnson ran a red light and collided with a car that had the right-of-way to turn. The Cadillac spun out and struck Carey, killing him.

Report: Tampa Bay among the most dangerous areas for pedestrians

Police say two little girls were passengers inside the Cadillac and were taken to the hospital. The 4-year-old, ejected from the vehicle, has fractures and a head injury while the 2-year-old has bumps and bruises. Clearwater Police Chief Anthony Holloway says both children's injuries are serious, but they are expected to recover.

The driver of the other vehicle was taken to the hospital for minor injuries and has since been released.

Chief Holloway says the two children were Johnson's daughters. After the crash, Johnson allegedly took the 2-year-old and handed her to a stranger, and then upon seeing his 4-year-old lying in the street, ran from the scene. Police were able to catch him a short time later.

Johnson has a long criminal history with about 17 prior arrests -- mostly traffic related -- and police say he will face multiple charges in connection to Tuesday's crash.

Those charges include: Leaving the Scene of a Crash resulting in Death, Leaving the Scene of a Crash with Serious Injury, DWLSR Resulting in Death, DWLSR Resulting in Serious Injury, Aggravated Child Neglect (2 charges), Resisting Arrest W/Out Violence, Poss. of Marijuana.

One witness described what he saw as the accident happened:


The roadway was closed for approximately eight hours to process the extensive crash site. The intersection reopened in all directions at about 3:45 p.m. Tuesday. Police say red light cameras at the intersection have allowed them to replay exactly what happened.


Press Conference with Clearwater Police Chief Anthony Holloway and Mayor George Cretekos: