April Lott, CEO for Directions for Living has 5 great tips to make this summer memorable!
- Make a Summer Fun to-do list: As a kid, and with your kids, you probably always had a plan for your summer, like: sports camp, family vacation, or learn an instrument. Outline similar fun goals for this year now, before the summer slips away, and put them on your fridge, in your calendar, or somewhere else you won't miss them every day!
- Get outside! Take advantage of the longer nights, the mostly sunny weather, and all the water that Tampa Bay offers. Statistics show that increases in Vitamin D, and more minutes spent outside per day, are associated with improved mood. Take a walk, have a picnic, head to the beach – just don't forget your sunscreen!
- Start a project: Whether it's a puzzle you work on a bit every night, a scrapbook of the year, starting a backyard garden, or knitting a blanket – begin something, small or large, that will be fun, leave you feeling accomplished, and become a memory you can always associate with this summer
- Do Something Good:: Lend a hand at your church, volunteer at a local non-profit, or simply do a good deed within your normal daily routine like paying for the car behind you in a drive-through line. Helping someone else will help give your summer meaning, will make you feel great, and improve your community while you're at it.
- Say 'yes!'/try something new: Invited to a music festival by a friend from work? Been wanting to try that new frozen yogurt place? Always been interested in taking a writing class at your local community college? Open yourself up to new experiences, with others or yourself – chances are, you won't regret it.