After the storm: Who to call about damage

Local and state governments have phone numbers for residents who have experienced damage to call.


Residents are asked to contact Sanitation at (727) 893-7398 regarding storm damage debris and special collections after the storm.


Pasco County Government is requesting citizens and business owners to report any type of storm related damage to Pasco County Customer Service at (727) 847-2411 or email 


Residents who need help or have questions can call the Pasco County Customer Service line at (727) 847-2411. 


For assistance, call the sheriff's non-emergency line at (352) 726-1121.


The state Chief Financial Officer's office recommends the following steps for homeowners who have experienced damage.

• Notify your insurance company first. Many insurance companies have reporting deadlines, so it is important to act quickly. Take steps to make temporary repairs that prevent further damage, but remain in contact with your insurance company regarding any outside vendors that are brought in to make repairs. If you need help locating contact information for your insurance company, click here to access the Office of Insurance Regulation’s directory.

• While making temporary repairs, obtain the licensing or training credentials of all third-party vendors before signing any work agreements. Beware of fly-by-night repair companies and hire only licensed and reputable people. Utilize the Department of Business and Professional Regulation’s Contractor License lookup to make sure all contractors are properly licensed and bonded. Access DBPR’s licensee search here.

o Fully review all documentation you are asked to sign and ask questions to make sure you understand the agreements you are signing. Ask specifically who is responsible for paying the vendor, you as the consumer or your insurance company.

• If considering the assistance of a public insurance adjuster, ask for identification to verify that the adjuster is licensed.  To verify the license of any Florida insurance agent or adjuster, utilize the Department of Financial Service’s licensee search here.

o Understand how much a public insurance adjuster charges as well as what services are included before signing any contract.

• If you suspect fraud or suspicious activity, call the Department of Financial Services, Division of Consumer Services Insurance Consumer Helpline immediately at 1-877-693-5236. Your concerns will be promptly referred to insurance fraud investigators.

(© 2016 WTSP)


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment