Tampa, Florida -- Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor says David Earl Williams Junior is being charged in connection to the 2009 robbery and killing of Ryan McCall.
Castor says the murder was part of a "one man crime spree" and that Williams, 22, has a very long criminal history, beginning at age 11. Jail records show he is currently incarcerated for various strong arm robbery and grand theft charges.
McCall, a University of Tampa student and track star, was shot to death nearly three years ago while walking home from a party with a friend.
Police say they had Williams as a possible suspect early on, but they didn't have enough evidence to make an arrest. But over the past two years, more tips from the public kept pointing at Williams.
Castor says when detectives questioned Williams again earlier this month, he admitted to robbing McCall and his friend... and blamed the shooting on someone else.
Police, however, do not believe any other suspects are involved.
Williams will be transported from the South Florida Reception Center in Doral to Tampa, where he will face charges of first degree murder, armed robbery and attempted armed robbery.
Authorities put together this timeline of events leading up to and following McCall's murder:
- 7/23/09 - David Earl Williams Jr. is released from prison after serving nine months on a Jackson County, Florida case
- 8/19/09 - Williams robs Michael Harahan and kills his friend, Ryan McCall
- 8/30/09 - Williams commits strong arm robbery
- 9/1/09 - Williams commits an armed burglary and a second burglary
- 9/2/09 - Williams is arrested for the strong arm robbery and both burglaries
- 5/5/10 - Williams returns to Florida State Prison. He is sent to Lake Correctional Institute near Clermont, but is eventually moved to the South Florida Reception Center for discipline problems
10 News will have more on this developing story.