(CBS/AP) WICHITA, Kansas -- Authorities said a man was taken into custody after he and his brother accidentally blew up their house in a drug-related explosion Friday while celebrating a winning lottery ticket CBS affiliate KWCH.
Police said one of the brothers was taken to a hospital Friday evening with second-degree burns on his hands, arms and chest, the station reports. The 27-year-old man remains in serious but stable condition
Authorities said the victim told them that he and his brother bought marijuana and meth to celebrate after winning $75,000 on a scratch lottery ticket, KWCH reports.
Wichita police Sgt. Bruce Watts said the explosion happened after the victim went to the kitchen to refuel the butane lighters the brothers were planning to use to light their bongs. He emptied a couple large cans of butane lighter fluid, leaking butane into the air.
Eventually, butane vapor reached the pilot light in the furnace, causing the blast, according to The Associated Press.
Officers returned to the home where the victim's brother reportedly admitted to having drugs in the home. He was sent to jail.