3-year-old Jadarrius Speights shoots and kills himself, uncle is arrested

7:04 AM, May 8, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Tammie Fields Video Stories
More Tammie Fields Stories

TAMPA, Florida - 3-year-old Jadarrius Speights accidentally shot and killed himself inside the bedroom of an apartment he shared with his mother, father, and uncle, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

It happened Monday evening around 7:10 p.m.

Detectives say 29-year-old Jeffrey Walker shared a bedroom with his nephew Jadarrius and allegedly left a 9mm handgun in a backpack. Walker left the room, and detectives believe Jadarrius got the gun out of the backpack and shot himself. 

Walker purchased the gun at a gun shop in the Tampa Bay area and also has a concealed weapons permit. He's been charged with culpable negligence, which is a 3rd degree felony. 

The child's parents, 21-year-old Jasmine Bell and 22-year-old Trentin Speights, were in their bedroom at the time of the shooting.

Meanwhile, neighbors are stunned, but some tell 10 News they're also upset that it took so long for paramedics to arrive at the Avesta Apartments complex just south of Fletcher Ave., where it happened.

Pearl Brown was in tears when she said, "I seen the baby. I'm still crying because I can't believe they brought that baby out, just holding that baby, and the man was just pumping and wasn't giving him no air, just pumping his heart. I knew that baby was dead."

Brown added, "This is so sad. Mother's Day is right around the corner. It's a shame."

Cierra Brown said, "Actually, the father, he's a friend of mine. The father of the child. So I called. When I seen, I called the ambulance because I saw all these police and I'm, like, where is the ambulance? The ambulance is supposed to be here first."

Jackie Jackson said she timed the whole thing starting at 7:10 p.m. when people started running away from the apartment where the shooting happened. She said, "About one minute later, you got about nine loads of sheriff's department just running through the scene ... and then 13 minutes later, 7:23, here come the paramedics ... and then they don't come right here."

Brown added, "They took too long and they're right around the corner."

10 News spoke with Ronnie Rivera, the public information officer for Hillsborough County Fire Rescue. He said dispatch received the call at 7:16 p.m., but whenever there's a shooting, he said, the sheriff's office has to arrive first out of safety concerns.

Rivera said a rescue crew arrived and touched the child at 7:22 p.m. They were able to get Speights to the hospital by 7:28 p.m.

Most Watched Videos