PALM BEACH COUNTY, FL-- If you are getting ready to renew your drivers license, you will need to bring a little more information with you to the DMV.
A new federal mandate requires you to prove you're a United States citizen and you won't be able to do it online or through the mail. This is all due to the REAL ID Act of 2005.
According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website, the REAL ID Act became effective nationwide on May 11, 2008. Florida began issuing REAL ID compliant credentials after January 1, 2010. The new credentials have a star in the upper right corner of the card.
So what do you need to do to be REAL ID compliant:
You will need to bring one of the following primary documents to establish your identity, proof of legal residence and date of birth: For a detailed list of required items, please visit www.gathergoget.com
For U.S. Citizens:
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport
- Original or Certified copy of a birth certificate
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS
- Certificate of Citizenship
For cases where the current name and the name on the primary identity document are different, you should also bring:
- Court ordered name change document
- Marriage certificate, issued by the courts and/or
- Divorce decree, issued by the courts
In all cases, the document must show a clear trail of name changes originating with the birth name to the current name. For more detailed information on the required identity documents please visit www.gathergoget.com.
- Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card - I-551 for Lawful Permanent Residents
- Valid Passport for non-immigrants except for asylum applicants and refugees
- Other government issued document showing your full name
- Department of Homeland Security document showing proof of lawful presence
- If your name has changed by marriage/divorce, you must have your name changed on your Citizen and Immigration Services (CIS) documents.
Both Citizens and Non-Citizens will need to bring:
- Your Social Security Card or proof of your social security number.
- A list of documents that provide proof of the social security number can be found on our website at:
- Two documents that show your principal residence
For more information visit the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
You may also like...
Saggy Pants: City considers pants ban... for women
Sex While Driving: More common than you think
Monkey Business: Man pepper sprays woman, steals her monkey
Gators of Walmart: Alligator forces FL Walmart to shut its doors
Up in Smoke: Mysterious ring of smoke spotted in the sky
CHEERLEADERS: NFL goes pink for breast cancer awareness
Granny giving the bird: Old lady photobombs proposal
Faces of Meth: Before and After pictures
Hiccup Girl Trial: Jennifer Mee found guilty of murder
Prostitute Roundup: 92 arrested in online sex sting
Hottie Internet Convict: Woman behind mug shot meme sets the record straight
Motorcycles and bikinis: Bikini bike wash!