(USA TODAY) -- Two explosions struck the Kenyan capital Nairobi on Friday, killing as many as 10 people and injuring 70, authorities said.
The blasts came just hours after Britain's Foreign Office urged tourists to leave the country following what it said was a "high threat from terrorism, including kidnapping."
On Twitter, Kenya's National Disaster Operation Center said Friday that one blast targeted a mini-van that Kenyans use for public transportation. It said a second blast went off in a market.
Before the blasts, the U.S. Embassy sent out a new travel alert Friday to American citizens warning of a continued terrorist threat in a country where the U.S. Embassy suffered a devastating attack in 1998.
At least 67 people were killed when gunmen linked to the Somali militant group al-Shabab attacked a mall in Nairobi in September last year. Since the mall attack, Kenya has suffered numerous smaller bombings in Nairobi and Mombasa.
Contributing: Associated Press