I-75 chase ends with 2 in custody

Tampa, Florida -- UPDATE: We now know the names of the people arrested as Jovanny Pena and Bryna McLaughlin.

Pena is charged with Attempted Murder of a Law Enforcement Officer, Aggravated Battery on a Law Enforcement Officer, Armed Robbery of a Business, 3 counts of Armed Robbery of a Person, and 3 counts of Armed Kidnapping False Imprisonment.

McLaughlin is charged with Armed Robbery of a Business, 3 counts of Armed Robbery of a Person, Armed Kidnapping and 3 counts of False Imprisonment.

Original Story:

Two deputies and a robbery suspect are all in the hospital following a chase and shots were fired on northbound I-75 at US Hwy. 301.

Authorities say deputies attempted to stop a vehicle without a license plate in the area of a reported robbery at a Radio Shack in Sun City Center. The vehicle fled up and down Gibsonton Drive and then headed onto I-75 northbound.

At some point during the chase, a deputy approached the vehicle at Progress Blvd. when the male driver began doing donuts – hitting two cars and two deputies. Another deputy fired at the suspect's vehicle striking the man in the chest. He is being treated at Tampa General Hospital.

"We did see the suspect laid on the ground with blood over him," said a driver who came upon the scene moments after the gunfire.

One deputy is being treated for injuries to his leg and foot after he was struck by the suspect's vehicle. A second deputy was injured with a possible dislocated shoulder after he was injured toward the end of the pursuit, when the suspect allegedly tried to flee.

A female passenger in the suspect's car was not injured. However, police say she's being treated at a local hospital for an unrelated medical condition. She has been question by deputies to ascertain her involvement.

So far, no charges have been officially released.

Deputies shut down the highway for hours during their investigation, leaving countless drivers stranded on the highway. After several hours, many of them began turning around on the interstate and headed to the nearest exit when it became apparent that the highway would not open anytime soon.

Northbound I-75 was closed for hours as deputies processed the crime scene. All lanes have since reopened.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment