US singer Miley Cyrus winks during an interview at a radio station in Bad Vilbel near Frankfurt.
(Photo: Boris Roessler, AP)
(USA TODAY) Miley Cyrus' We Can't Stop and Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines have been as pervasive as sand this summer.
So it's only appropriate that they perform on the MTV VMAs at Brooklyn's Barclays Center on Aug. 25. And they are.
Bonus: One Direction is set to make a "special appearance," too. Also on the lineup are Lady Gaga, Kanye West and Katy Perry. This will be West's seventh VMA performance.
Music fans get a chance to have their say on who gets a trophy with a new category, best song of the summer, powered solely by social votes.
This year's best song of the summer nominees are:
• Miley Cyrus, We Can't Stop
• Daft Punk, Get Lucky featuring Pharrell
• Calvin Harris featuring Ellie Goulding, I Need Your Love
• Selena Gomez, Come & Get It
• One Direction, Best Song Ever
• Robin Thicke, Blurred Lines featuring T.I. and Pharrell.
To vote, use: #votemiley, #votedaftpunk, #voteselena, #voteonedirection, #votethicke, #votecalvinandellie via Twitter, Vine or Instagram
The show kicks off at 9 p.m. ET.
Korina Lopez, USA TODAY