APOPKA, Fla. (AP) - Health officials are warning residents living around a central Florida landfill to stay indoors with closed windows if they smell a foul odor.
State health officials on Tuesday also advised residents around the Keene Road Landfill in Apopka to make sure air conditioners or air purifiers were working properly.
The officials say a fire at the landfill started last week when a piece of debris was propelled from a stack and ignited grass on top of the landfill.
Officials say there was no damage to the gas collection system, and flares are still operating as designed.
The landfill is operated by Waste Management.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.