ZEPHYRHILLS, Florida - The city of Zephyrhills remains abuzz this morning days after a winning Powerball ticket worth nearly $600 million was sold at the local Publix Supermarket on US-301.
Across town everyone is wondering who the lucky winner might be.
"Everybody is just excited over it," said one Zephyrhills resident. "My family in Ohio called me and said did you win? Did you win?"
It could be weeks before we know who won. A winner has 60 days to come forward if they choose to take the cash option, lump sum payout. After that, the prize can be claimed for an additional 120 days but only as an annuity over 30 annual installments.
For a prize this big, the winner will have to travel to the Lottery's main office in Tallahassee, where after providing I.D. they can pick up a check or have the money wired directly to their account.
AND JUST IN CASE the winner happens to be reading this, Powerball Officials offer advice on protecting the multimillion dollar valued ticket.
• Store your ticket in a safe place until you are ready to redeem it.
• DO NOT expose your ticket to extreme sunlight or heat including from irons, dryers or windowpanes.
• DO NOT laminate Lottery tickets.
• DO NOT expose your ticket to fatty substances such as oil, butter or milk.
• DO NOT submerge your ticket underwater. Water will affect a ticket if it is submerged for a prolonged period of time.
For more information on Powerball rules and how to claim prizes, visit the official Powerball web page here.
Beau Zimmer, 10 News