Progress Village, Florida -- The house fire caused severe fire damage to the kitchen and put one person in the hospital.
According to reports, the two occupants were sleeping when their smoke alarm alerted them to the fire. They immediately exited the home, called 911 and Hillsborough County Fire Rescue responded within 6 minutes. The fire was contained to the kitchen with smoke damage to the rest of the house.
One of the occupants was sent to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation.
If you are a Hillsborough County resident that does not have a smoke alarm protecting your home, can't afford one or don't have the means to install one please call the headquarters at 813-272-6600. Hillsborough County Fire Rescue will be glad to provide and install one free of charge as part of their project SAFE (Smoke Alarms For Everyone).