SPRING HILL, Florida- Joy Miller says Village Pizza is one of her favorite restaurants in all of Spring Hill.
"I'm from New York and this is the closest thing to New York," said Miller who eats at the restaurant several times a month.
But a state health inspector was less than impressed, shutting Village Pizza down as an emergency closure September 23rd. Among the 22 violations documented on the report were food not properly date-marked, knives stored in cracks between equipment, grease under the cooking equipment and live roaches found under the hand washing sink, next to the food prep counter and nearly 20 under the two door refrigerator.
The restaurant was allowed to reopen the following day, so we stopped in to see just how cleaned up the kitchen really was.\
Photos: 10 News check up on Village Pizza
As we arrived, owner Paulo Batista had no problem inviting our camera inside.
"Well we clean everything," said Batista. "We were closed at 5:00 in the afternoon and by 9:00 [the next morning] we were open. They came in and inspected the next morning and everything was fine."
Batista took us all throughout the cooking area and into the walk-in cooler where we did find many items, including the pizza sauce and cheese, sitting out uncovered- both considered violations.
There were also rags and a knife sitting in a sink reserved for hand washing but the restaurant did appear to have hand cleanser and paper towels available for employee to use.
Perhaps the biggest problem was a container of insecticide on a kitchen shelf stored directly next to some food.
...The good news, we saw no evidence of any more roaches. We searched high and low and didn't spot a single one.
"Every month we have a spray company that comes in," said Batista.
Customers say they're definitely relieved it appears the restaurant has their roach issue taken care of and say they will be back for more pizza.
"It definitely makes you feel better," said Miller. "That means a lot."
Beau Zimmer, 10 News