(FloridaToday.com) - A wandering 5-foot alligator snarled Wickham Road traffic Sunday afternoon near the entrances to Viera SuperTarget and Walmart Supercenter.
Someone called 911 and reported the roving reptile just before 5:15 p.m., Brevard County Sheriff's Deputy Maria Fernez said.
Two deputies responded and tried to corral the gator using a ladder — but the animal aggressively thwarted their efforts, Fernez said. The predator triggered periodic lane closures on eastbound and westbound Wickham Road.
A licensed wildlife trapper lassoed and tied up the gator about 6:30 p.m. near the Murphy USA gas station.
GALLERY: Alligator Roundups
- Man arrested for shooting, killing gator in backyard
- Florida alligator hunt begins
- Gator shows up on school doorstep!
- No trapping after alligator attack
- Brevard's door-knocking gator likely still on loose
- Woman attacked by alligator in Hillsborough
- Gator attacks 9-year-old in Osceola County
- 6-foot gator knocks on door of Florida home