MELBOURNE, FL (Florida Today) -- 9-year-old Christian Sanhueza continues recovering in the hospital after a shark bit his left heel Saturday afternoon, near The Tides Collocated Club at Patrick Air Force Base.
The rising third-grader from Orlando suffered a severed Achilles' tendon and ligament damage. He has undergone two surgeries at Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne.
Christian may be discharged Friday. He faces future surgeries at Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, said his mother, Melissa.
She estimated the shark was 3 feet long.
- WATCH: Hammerhead spooks Florida beachgoers
- Watch two kayakers get lifted up on the back of a whale
- Boy recovering after barracuda attack
- Great white shark chokes on sea lion
- Man bitten by shark while fishing off Florida
- 14-year-old bit by shark at north Florida beach
PHOTOS: Shark Pictures