No bond for hit and run suspect, family speaks

Clearwater, Florida -- The man accused of driving a hit-and-run car that killed three young women in a fiery crash in St. Petersburg last week, appeared in front of a judge for the first time on those charges Tuesday afternoon.

Some of the victims' family members were there too.

Marquice Anderson, 27, was on the run for four days before turning himself in at the Pinellas County Jail Monday.

Anderson went in front of a judge, and asked the court, "Do I have any of my family members in the court room? Or am I not allowed to ask that question?"

The answer was no. No one from Anderson's family, who was willing to say so, anyway.

Anderson is charged with three counts of vehicular homicide, and an equal number of charges for leaving the scene of a deadly accident.

On Thursday around 3:00 a.m., police say he was driving down the wrong side of the street and collided with another car occupied by 25-year-old Grace Collier, 23-year-old Rhianna Campbell, and 21-year-old Jamesia Lang.

All three young women died as a result of the wreck.

Witnesses say Anderson had an opportunity to help the victims but, instead, faded into the crowd of onlookers, and when the car burst into flames, ran away.

The victims' family members who spoke after the hearing had mixed feelings about seeing Anderson finally in court.

"I was blessed that he did turn himself in and I was relieved to my heart that he did do that. Because I know that he was going to feel guilty at the end of the road that he's gonna lie in," said Cheryl Newson, Grace Collier's mother. "Because he took something precious from my heart that I have to live with."

RELATED:Funeral services for 3 killed in hit and run crash

The judge ordered a bond of $170,000 for Anderson on the charges stemming from this case, but Anderson was also on probation at the time of the accident. And since these newest charges constitute a violation of that probation, the judge ordered Anderson held without bond for the time being.

Anderson is next scheduled to be back in court Monday morning.

Anderson says he is trying to hire a private attorney, who will likely address the charges again at that hearing.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment