Lakeland, Fla. -- TECO crews were on scene following a gas leak in Lakeland Wednesday morning.
The Lakeland Fire Department responded to the gas leak around 10:30 a.m. at 316 E. Palm Dr. where there was a strong odor of gas.
The gas leak has since been controlled and the Lakeland Fire Department has cleared the area for residents to safely return.
It was discovered that construction workers had accidentally struck a four-inch gas line, causing the leak.
Residents were evacuated near S. Fl. Ave. at E. Beacon Rd., E. Palm Dr., Lake Hollingsworth Dr., and other nearby roads, including a local church, First Presbyterian Church.
TECO gas has claimed responsibility for the leak and was successful in fixing the leak.
© 2018 WTSP-TV