Road rage victim: 'I thought I was dead'

Seffner, FL -- Arthur Langley is still emotionally shaken by a road rage incident Tuesday along Carmack Road in Seffner.

At about 10:30 a.m., after trying to go around a pickup truck driven by 54-year old Reginald Migues, the two pulled over and exchanged words, and then it escalated.

"Next thing I know, the guy comes with a gun from behind his back, cocked it and put it to my face," said Langley. "Right then, I thought I was dead."

"I said shoot me, man, if you're gonna shoot me, shoot me or get that gun out of my face."

PREVIOUS: Detention deputy charged

Were it not for Migues' wife getting out of the truck and intervening, Langley says, he'd probably be dead.

"She told him to calm down," Langley said, asking her husband, "What is your problem? You're acting crazy.' And he went to lift up the gun again and she pushed it down."

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office says Migues, an HCSO corrections officer, is in big trouble.

"He's gonna be fired," said Detective Larry McKinnon, the sheriff's office spokesman.

And if convicted on the felony charge, Migues may also lose his freedom.

KEEP COOL: FHP advice to avoid road rage incidents

In 11 years with the department, they say he has a spotless record.

And although off duty and driving his own vehicle, "His conduct was still unbecoming. It was criminal in nature. So, therefore he violated multiple sheriff's office policies," said McKinnon.

Langley's lawyer, Eric Taylor, says the deputies who responded to Langley's 911 call took their time once they knew Migues was involved. The dispatcher, he says, recognized the name after running his tag when the call came in.

It took 25 nerve-racking minutes for them to get there, said Langley.

And once they did, arrive, Langley says they made him feel like he was the bad guy.

They even allowed Migues to walk around the scene unrestrained, and go back into his home that was across the street, Taylor said.

"If he goes back in the house, and he does have another weapon inside his house, who is he gonna target?" Taylor asked.

"That's what I called, for was for them to come and help me with this situation," said Langley, "To detain this guy and take the gun or something. But it was none of that."

Langley says it wasn't until HCSO Internal Affairs arrived nearly four hours later that he felt he was treated fairly. He says the officer who spoke with him could not believe the incident had started so many hours before.

If he does decide to file a civil suit, it won't be about money, says Langley, it would be about principle. Victimized twice, he feels. First, by the man who pulled a gun on him. Then again, by the way it was all handled.

In response to Langley's accusations, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's office says it checked its response records.

The incident, they say, was dispatched as an "Assault in Progress, Priority 1". The first deputy, they say, was dispatched at 10:26 a.m., and their records show he arrived at the scene 16 minutes later at 10:42.

A second deputy, says HCSO, was on-scene four minutes later at 10:46 a.m.

Migues, 54, faces a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He has been released on $2,000 bond.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment