CLEARWATER, Florida - Three golfers have filed a lawsuit against Countryside Country Club, alleging they got sick from club watercoolers that contained "adulterated water." A press release from the Law Office of Tragos & Sartes indicates that the cooler on the golf course's eighth hole was vandalized and contained feces and urine.
The lawsuit claims that on July 18, 2009, the men were golfing and drank from the water cooler. It was hot, so they said they were "guzzling" the water. Upon noticing an "unnatural taste," one of the plaintiffs opened the container and discovered urine and feces.
His son immediately "became ill and vomited on the tee box at hole number 8," while he and his father later developed fevers and other symptoms.
"It is the contention of the Plaintiffs," the release said, "that Countryside Country Club and (parent company) Clubcorp were aware of the recent acts of vandalism and failed to lock the water coolers, or at a minimum inspect the water coolers prior to allowing golfers to consumer the contents."
The suit claims the three golfers - all residents of Pinellas County - exhibited symptoms consistent with bacterial infection and were treated by doctors.
"When they serve water or food," said attorney George E. Tragos, "they have the duty to make sure it's clean, pure, and palatable for the people who want to use it."
Countryside responded with the following statement:
"Countryside Country Club has been informed that it is the subject of a lawsuit filed by three golfers who allege that they became sick after drinking from a vandalized water cooler. While Countryside cannot comment further on pending litigation, Countryside continues to be committed to providing its members and guests a safe and enjoyable golf experience."
Countryside's parent company, Clubcorp Inc., was also sued. Damages are listed in excess of $15,000.
Noah Pransky, 10 Connects