(USA Today) Decades after the debut of his top beaches roster, Stephen Leatherman, aka Dr. Beach, still hasn't run out of sybaritic strands on which to put his stamp of approval.
Florida, with four winning beaches, and Hawaii, with three, dominate the just-announced 2014 Top 10 Beach List. Tops is Duke Kahanamoku Beach in Waikiki, Hawaii, cited for its wide sands, calm waters and no-smoking policy.
The Florida International University scientist bases his evaluation on 50 criteria, including sand and water quality. Winners from previous years aren't in the running, but are cataloged on DrBeach.org.
The full list for 2014:
1. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Barefoot Beach, Bonita Springs, Florida
3. St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
4. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
5. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
6. Cape Hatteras, N.C.
7. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Florida
8. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.
10. Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, Naples, Florida