A 72-year-old woman died Tuesday night in a fire likely caused by smoking near bottled oxygen, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.
Firefighters responded to a call of a house fire at 1616 South Arrawana at 9:30 Tuesday night and had the fire under control by 9:55. While searching the home they found the body of Constance Bess Rynder in the room they say was likely the source of the fire.
The fire, which Tampa Fire Rescue says was accidental, caused roughly $40,000 of damage to the house.
Statement from the University of Tampa, where she was a former professor:
Sadly yes, Constance Rynder was a retired UT faculty member. She was a Professor Emerita of History, and she taught at UT from 1972-2011.
© 2017 WTSP-TV