(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie blamed the Obama administration for the influx of immigrant children at the southern border, but didn't rule out the prospect of accepting children in New Jersey on a case-by-case basis.
"I have great empathy for that situation, but frankly the administration has done an awful job in securing our border, and they need to do that," Christie told reporters in Marion, Iowa, where he campaigned for incumbent Gov. Terry Branstad.
"I don't think ... it matters one bit what your Hispanic population is, as to whether or not you're going to offer help and assistance," he continued. "So we'll take every request that comes based on its merits and make those decisions."
- PunditFact: Santorum off mark on immigration claim
- Arizona town tries to protest away immigrant kids
- Boehner disagrees with Sarah Palin on impeaching Obama
- Democrat's Florida push calls for shift on Cuba
- Obama's illegal immigration plan alarms migrant children's advocates