Whitey Bulger, 83, is charged with 19 murders, racketeering, extortion, weapons offenses and money-laundering. He had been on the run for 16 years when he was apprehended in 2011.
(Photo: 2011 AP photo)
BOSTON (USA TODAY) -- A federal jury Monday convicted James "Whitey" Bulger of racketeering, extortion and conspiracy charges, ruling that the former Boston crime boss had was responsible for 11 murders dating back to the 1970s.
Jurors convicted Bulger on charges related to 11 of the 19 murders he was charged with under a wide-ranging federal indictment that also implicated him on extortion, money laundering, illegal possession of firearms and other charges dating back to the purported mobster's reign as leader of South Boston's Winter Hill Gang.
SEE ALSO: A look at the 19 murder victims in James "Whitey" Bulger trial
The verdict - which came after 32 hours of deliberations over five days - brings the case one step closer to closure after a seven-week trial that featured more than 70 witnesses and startling testimony against Bulger.
The 83-year-old defendant was convicted on 31 counts of a 32-count indictment. But jurors found Bulger was not guilty of seven murders and could not reach a verdict on an eight.
Bulger, wearing a long-sleeved un-collared shirt and white sneakers, looked relaxed as he chatted with his attorneys and awaited the verdict. He will most likely spend the rest of his life in prison. Sentencing has been set for Nov. 13.
Separately, Bulger agreed to forfeit the weapons and $822,000 in cash that officials found in his California apartment following his 2011 arrest, but says he wants to keep his prized Stanley Cup ring.
In a document filed last week, Bulger said the ring commemorating the National Hockey League championship series was a gift from an unnamed "third party."
The document said both sides have agreed to not include the ring among the assets Bulger must forfeit.
Until his arrest, Bulger, once on of the nation's most wanted criminals, had evaded authorities since 1994.