MIAMI (AP) - Republican-turned-Democrat Charlie Crist picked former congressional candidate and Miami-Dade County Democratic Party chairwoman Annette Taddeo-Goldstein as his running mate.
Former Gov. Crist made the announcement Thursday in Miami.
Taddeo-Goldstein was born in Colombia to an American father and Colombian mother and spent the first 17 years of her life in the South American country.
The pick comes less than six weeks ahead of the Democratic primary and will help shore up support among the party faithful. Crist is facing former Senate Democratic Leader Nan Rich.
Taddeo-Goldstein is also a vice chairman of the Florida Democratic Party and is on the Democratic National Committee's executive committee.
Crist was a lifelong Republican until running for Senate as an independent in 2010. He first registered as a Democrat less than two years ago.
- Democrat Nan Rich calls on Charlie Crist to debate
- Crist says state should review gun laws
- Democrat's Florida push calls for shift on Cuba
- Crist's name removed from car racing at Daytona
- John Morgan increases funding for medical marijuana fight