(USA Today)-- Kenya's foreign minister says two or three Americans were among the Islamic extremists who attacked an upscale shopping mall in Nairobi where at least 62 people died in a three-day siege of terror.
Kenya's security forces reported, meanwhile that they had regained nearly full control of the Westgate shopping mall that was the scene of the bloody attack by Somali-based terrorists using guns and grenades.
See also: 3 extremists killed in Kenya; mall nearly under control
Foreign Minister Amina Mohamed said in an interview aired on the PBS "NewsHour" Monday evening that "two or three Americans" and "one Brit" were among the militants in the attack. She said the Americans were 18 to 19 years old, of Somali or Arab origin and lived "in Minnesota and one other place" in the United States.
The FBI said Monday evening that it has no confirmation of U.S. involvement in the attack but is still reviewing the situation.
Kenya authorities said all but a few hostages taken two days ago in the rampage by the al-Shabab group have been freed.
There had been fears of more hostage casualties on Monday after four loud explosions rocked the Nairobi neighborhood where the Westgate mall is located.
STORY: Local Kenyan keeps close eye on mall massacre
The three attackers from the armed Islamic group linked with al-Qaeda were killed in the fighting Monday, officials said, and more than 10 suspects arrested.
Eleven Kenyan soldiers were wounded in the running gunbattles, but Kenyan security officials claimed that by evening they had the upper hand.
"Taken control of all the floors. We're not here to feed the attackers with pastries but to finish and punish them," Police Inspector General David Kimaiyo said on Twitter.
Kenya's interior minister said the evacuation of hostages "has gone very, very well" and that Kenyan officials are "very certain" that there are few if any hostages left in the building.
Kenya Chief of Defense forces Gen. Julius Karangi said fighters from an array of nations participated in the attack claimed by al-Shabab.
"We have an idea who this people are and they are clearly a multinational collection from all over the world," he said.
STORY: Victims of the Kenya mall attack
Kenya's foreign minister, Amina Mohamed, told The Washington Post on Monday that "two or three" of the attackers were young Americans.
He described them as about 18 or 19 years old and of Somali or Arab origin.
In Minneapolis, federal law enforcement officials are reviewing whether Americans were among the terrorists in Nairobi.
Minneapolis FBI spokesman Kyle Loven said Monday that authorities were "monitoring'' reports from the region of possible links. "We're not confirming or speculating on possible involvement at this time,'' Loven said.
The Minneapolis community is home to a large Somali community, whose young men have been targeted for recruitment by the terror group, al-Shabab, which has claimed responsibility for the attack.
"The FBI enjoys a wonderful relationship with the Somali community here,'' Loven said. "The community is appalled with what is happening.''
In Kenya, the interior minister said some hostages, who have been held for three days, have been released and those remaining are "very, very minimal," CNN reports.
Associated Press reporters on the scene heard multiple blasts and a barrage of gunfire. Black and gray smoke rose up from the mall.
Authorities in Kenya, communicating through social media, appealed for calm and told people to stay away from the mall complex, where the operation is continuing.
Earlier, Kenya's Red Cross said the death toll rose to 69 after more bodies were recovered Sunday. However, the Kenyan government revised that figure lower, with Kenya's interior ministry saying Monday that 62 were confirmed dead.
In its latest news briefing, the ministry said that all of the attackers are men but that some were dressed as women. Two militants were killed this morning and several others injured. The ministry said that the "operation will come to an end soon."
The militants stormed the mall Saturday from two sides, throwing grenades and firing on civilians. More than 175 people were injured in the attack, including many children, Kenyan officials say.
Kevin Johnson reported from Washington. Contributing: William M. Welch in Los Angeles; Associated Press