ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Indiana (WBND/CNN) - An Indiana
woman bought a can of green beans on sale for 69 cents, and what she
found inside will keep her and her family from ever eating canned green
"We eat a lot of green beans. We do. We did. Nobody wants anymore now," said Gloria Chubb.
Gloria, a retired nurse, is disgusted by what she served up at the dinner table for her and her son.
"It was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans," she said.
It was what was in the can of Meijer green beans that made them both lose their appetite.
"My son put some on his plate and said, 'What is that?' I thought
maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something. Because they have
bacon in them sometimes. I had it in my hand because I was trying to
figure out what it was. And I took it out of there and it wasn't moldy
bacon. It was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green
beans, other than that he was fully intact," said Gloria.
You heard her right.
"I didn't see it at all until after I cooked it in the microwave. I
was sick, nauseated for two days, and I don't think I'll have green
beans anytime soon," said Gloria.
In fact, Gloria took all of her unopened cans back to Meijer, and they gave her a refund.
She took the frog and the questionable can to the St. Joseph County
Health Department. The Health Department took photos of the frog. Gloria
alerted them because she wants to warn others who may be in a rush
preparing dinner like she was that day.
Rita Hooten, food service director at the St. Joseph County Health
Department, said the next step was to send the toad and can down to the
Indiana State Department of Health.
"And they do the investigation since it's a wholesale manufactured product," said Hooten.
The Indiana State Department of Health concluded the toad was processed along with the food at the canning plant in Wisconsin.
"When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed
on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green
beans during process," said Hooten.
"I don't know how they didn't see it I wonder if it's the only one?" said Gloria.
The consumer specialist who compiled the report says it likely isn't.
He says factory canning is a fast paced business sometime moving 300
cans through per minute.
Last week, Gloria got an apology letter from the canning company along with $50.
As for Meijer, they sent WBND-TV a statement via email that reads,
"We sincerely regret this customer's experience, and we are in the
process of investigating the incident."
"I think they should come up with a better way of inspecting and
canning vegetables. I mean anything can happen you know but a whole
frog?" said Gloria.
The Indiana State Department of Health says the most common rodent or
insect found in canned veggies are toads, mice and grass hopers, and if
you think by buying frozen you get around this, you are wrong.