Child hospitalized after drinking Dairy Queen shake

DENVER, Colo. (CNN/KMGH) - A mother wants answers after her son was rushed to hospital for burns to his mouth after drinking a Dairy Queen vanilla milkshake that had been contaminated with a chemical cleaning product.

Lisa Chase and her son Riley both suffered burns to their mouths after drinking the shake, which they bought from a drive-thru at a Dairy Queen in Thornton, Colorado on Thursday.

'Something was bubbling on my tongue,' he told CNN affiliate KMGH. "You couldn't even taste the ice cream in it, it tasted like you were drinking a very strong cleanser, then the burn started instantly," Lisa said.

'It was just like you were drinking a very strong cleanser,' she said. 'You could feel it go all the way into your stomach - it just burned all the way down.'

The vanilla syrup container also contained floor cleaner and degreaser concentrate similar to a strong cleaner containing sodium hydroxide that when ingested can cause burns, vomiting, even shock.

The owner of the Dairy Queen says the incident is a terrible accident. One employee was soaking the vanilla syrup container in the cleaner when another employee picked it up thinking it was clean and filled it with syrup.

The owner says both employees involved have been written up for not following proper procedure.

Both of the workers have been written up and the store owner has contacted poison control and the health department. A regional manager also contacted Chase on Friday to update her.

The mother said her son was feeling better after his hospital visit - but worries that it could have been much worse.

'They need to be held accountable for what they are doing,' she said through tears. 'It could have cost people their lives.'



To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment