Corinne Olympios says she's the victim in the alleged misconduct that shut down production of ABC's reality show Bachelor in Paradise.
In a statement Wednesday, the former Bachelor contestant said she's spent the past week "trying to make sense of what happened on June 4," when a producer filed a complaint with Warner Bros. that led the studio to halt filming on the summer series, which was due to return for a fourth season in early August. The studio promised an investigation and "appropriate responsive action."
But Olympios, through spokesman Stan Rosenfield, said that while "I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place." She continued, "As a woman, this is my worst nightmare, and it has now become my reality."
Though she provided few details, Olympios confirmed reports that she was at the center of the incident that sparked the complaint. Multiple outlets have indicated that alcohol may have played a part in the confusion of events on the night in question. And she said she has hired an attorney "to obtain justice," suggesting she plans a lawsuit against producers.
The series, which reunites former Bachelor and Bachelorette contestants in a tropical location, has a near-constant presence of alcohol, and a bartender who has become a recurring character over the years.
On Tuesday, former Bachelor Ben Higgins and Bachelor in Paradise contestant Ashley Iaconetti came to the defense of the show, refuting claims that producers encourage alcohol consumption.
"People assume things about the show," Higgins said on their podcast, The Ben and Ashley I Almost Famous Podcast. "They assume situations are set up. They assume people are put/forced into different scenarios."
"They assume that we are forced to drink all the time," Iaconetti interjected, which both hosts insist was never part of their experience.
"I was never forced into anything," Higgins said. "If I was confused, they would sit with me and allow me to speak my mind and help me process. It's never a forced situation. They don't write a story line before the season starts."
Host Chris Harrison also came to the show's defense Tuesday, urging fans to be patient as the allegations are being investigated.
Harrison said he felt the need to speak out "with all the rumors" and "competing details in the various press accounts of the incident. And there’s a lot of misinformation out there, too," he said. "We urge everyone to be patient until the investigation is complete."
Read Olympios' full statement below.
I am a victim and have spent the last week trying to make sense of what happened on June 4. Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production. As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality. As I pursue the details and facts surrounding that night and the immediate days after, I have retained a group of professionals to ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening.
© 2017 USATODAY.COM