Tallahassee, Florida -- It's been nearly two years since the hazing attack that killed a drum major at Florida A&M. The marching band has been suspended since then while students faced charges and the university saw a management shakeup. Now, the band is back to business - and emotions are running high.
Florida A&M University's world famous marching band has been working hard on its comeback and new band director Sylvester Young says its time.
RELATED: FAMU marching band announces first performance since suspension
"One era of this band is past and this is a new beginning for the band," Young says.
All students are now required to sign a pledge not to haze and the school has hired an anti-hazing director to keep watch. But for Champion's parents, that's not enough.
"It's too soon to put the band back on the field," says Robert Champion Sr.
"That says you have no concerns for the students in that band," says Pam Champion.
Band spokesperson junior Ronald Gray says the university's decision is right.
"It wouldn't be fair to us individuals who had nothing to do with that to not give us a second chance."
The band is practicing in the August heat for its debut in Orlando on Sept. 1. The Champions say they are concerned for those students -- and their families.
"No one should have to send their child to school to get a degree and come back with a death certificate and your child in a bag. No one," says Pam.
But band members say their culture has changed, and now it's time to get back on the field.
Robert Champion's parents Pam and Robert Sr. are still awaiting a trial date for their lawsuit against the school. They've launched a foundation in the name of their son to eradicate hazing.