Tallahassee, Florida -- Governor Rick Scott announced Wednesday that nominations are open for the 2013 Governor's Innovators in Business Awards.
Florida companies in select industries that have influenced the state's economic growth and diversification are asked to submit nominations to Enterprise Florida by Oct. 24.
"These awards provide well-deserved recognition for Florida businesses working to diversify and expand our economy. Florida's economic turnaround continues thanks to our job creators that provide opportunities for Florida families," Governor Scott said in a press release. "I look forward to recognizing these innovative businesses and appreciate all they do to make sure families can live their American Dream."
The industries recognized this year include:
- Corporate Headquarters
- Emerging Industries
- Financial/Professional Services
- Homeland Security/Defense
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences
- Trade/Export Services
Three awards will be given in each of these categories:
- Governor's Business Expansion Award: For Florida companies that expanded their operations in 2012, investing capital and creating jobs for Floridians.
- Governor's Newcomer Award: For new-to-Florida companies that began business operations in 2012.
- Governor's Export Excellence Award: For Florida companies with new or significant increases in documented export sales in 2012.
- Governor's Innovation/Entrepreneurship Award: For Florida start-up companies or innovative companies that have set a standard for entrepreneurship and creativity in the past three years.
Companies will compete with others in similarly sized markets. In each category an award will be given for the following market segments:
- Mid Market: County population up to 150,000
- Major Market: County population 150,001 to 800,000
- Mega Market: County population 800,001 and higher
The entry deadline is Oct. 24, 2013 at 5 p.m. For more information and to submit a nomination, please visit www.eflorida.com/govawards.