Once again the bright lights of Friday night will be shining down on the teams with dreams of hoisting the FHSAA state championship trophy. Before the 2013 high school football season kicks off, we've ranked the top 10 teams heading into the year. This is week one's edition of the WTSP.com Top Ten on 10 power rankings:
- No. 1 in the nation last year, the Canes are easily No. 1 in the bay area again this year.
2. Plant - the Panthers have loads of talent on both sides of the ball.
3. Largo - high powered offense should help lead the Packers further in the playoffs.
4. Armwood - lead by a stifling defense, the Hawks are still a playoff team.
5. Lakewood - with lots of talent, this should be a breakout season for the Spartans.
6. East Lake - defense will soar, giving the Eagles offense time to grow.
7. Jefferson - may have the best offense around, but the Dragons need to get off to a good start.
8. Pasco - speed, speed and more speed, translates into business as usual for the Pirates.
9. Clearwater Central Catholic - a "fast and furious" defense could lead the Marauders to the state finals.
10. Lake Gibson - the Braves should repeat as district champs.
In the chase - Tampa Bay Tech, Hillsborough, Sickles, Jesuit, Durant, Lakeland
Teams that just missed:
Tampa Bay Tech, Hillsborough, Sickles, Jesuit, Durant, Lakeland