(USA Today) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Based on the weather forecast, attendees at today's 140th Kentucky Derby won't have to worry about the flowers on their fancy hats getting watered, and the horses won't have to run in muddy slop at Churchill Downs.
Unlike last year's rainy Derby, the Weather Channel is forecasting mostly sunny skies today with a high of 73 degrees and a 10 percent chance of rain.
The Derby will be the 11th race on today's 13-race program. Post time for the Derby is 6:32 p.m. ET.
NBC Sports' TV coverage will start at noon on NBCSN and continue at 4 p.m. ET on NBC.
California Chrome is the 3-1 favorite.
Some media picks of the winner:
- Bill Dwyre, Los Angeles Times, California Chrome
- Jerry Bossert, New York Daily News, Wicked Strong
- Jennie Rees, Louisville Courier-Journal, Intense Holiday
- Tim Sullivan, Louisville Courier-Journal, Danza
- Childs Walker, Baltimore Sun, Tapiture
- Frank Angst, The Blood-Horse, Wicked Strong
- Jeff Duncan, New Orleans Times-Picayune, Intense Holiday
- Gary Mihoces, USA Today Sports, Danza
- Ed McNamara, Newsday, Intense Holiday