(CBS News) Court documents describe the chilling moments of a break-in at the home of actress Sandra Bullock last month, "The Insider" co-host Kevin Frazier reports.
In the early hours of June 8, Bullock woke up to loud banging inside her Los Angeles home.
According to the search warrant, Bullock, fearing for her safety, went to close her bedroom door. That's when she allegedly spotted a man in dark clothing in the hallway.
Bullock then locked herself in her room and dialed 911. As 39-year-old Joshua Corbett was taken into police custody, he screamed, "Sandy, I'm sorry. Please don't press charges."
Bullock never heard Corbett enter. She told police she had showered and went to bed and only awoke to the loud bangs. The police report does not say how long he was inside her home.
At the time of his arrest, Corbett was unarmed but allegedly carrying a handwritten letter where he wrote, "I'll be around as you know. I love you." It was signed, "Your husband, Joshua James Corbett."
He also wrote about her 4-year-old son, Louis, who was not home at the time of the incident.
Days later, he was charged with residential burglary and stalking. But after police conducted a search of his home, they uncovered an arsenal of weapons and charged him with 19 additional felonies.
This is not Bullock's first encounter with a stalker. In August 2010, the star filed a restraining order against a mentally ill man who had stalked her off and on for nearly a decade.
"You can't prevent people from doing crazy things. This happens. There are mentally ill people out there, and obviously celebrities have high exposure," Los Angeles criminal defense attorney Ninaz Saffari said.
Saffari said that while these crimes are not preventable, there are ways to protect victims. If Corbett is convicted of stalking, he may have to register as a sex offender, allowing Bullock to keep tabs on his whereabouts.
Corbett, who remains in prison, has pleaded not guilty to all charges. If convicted, he could spend more than seven years behind bars.