GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WTVR) — A veterinarian is firing back over an article circulating on social media that warns pet owners to never give their dogs water with ice cubes.
The blog post, "NO ICE WATER FOR DOGS… PLEASE READ ASAP," discusses one dog's near deadly encounter.
As a result, WXMI talked to a veterinarian about the validity of the post that tells the story of a dog who almost died after his owner gave him ice water, claiming that the cold water caused the dog to bloat.
"On the internet circulating right now is a story that seems very legitimate of a dog developing bloat after consuming ice cubes and water," Dr. Randall Carpenter, DMV of Family Friends Veterinary Hospita, said.
Carpenter pointed out that bloats are life-threatening situations that actually can cause an animal's stomach to flips because it is so enlarged.
However, Carpenter said the viral post frightening dog owners since 2007 has recently made a comeback because of the hot weather.
"If the dog is overheated and dehydrated, and desperate for fluids and they consume huge, huge amounts of ice cubes or water all at one time — it could create a situation where the dog could bloat," Carpenter admitted.
But he said that is true for large amounts of any temperature water.
In fact, Carpenter said that just consuming cold water or ice cubes in moderation will not cause bloat.
Accordingly, he said ice cubes and cold water when the weather is hot are fine for pets as long as it is done with moderation and common sense.
GALLERY: PET SELFIES!