Spring Hill, Florida -- At Gulf Coast Academy in Spring Hill, 7th graders are learning about more than reading, writing and math.
Each student has been given the assignment ofdoinga "pay it forward" project. The idea is for them to do something to benefit their local community.
12-year-old Haley Greene says she knew exactly which organization she wanted to help,"The Dawn Center is about helping women and children with sexual and domestic violence."
Haley has been working since the beginning of this school year collecting items to donate to the Dawn Center. She has also created a Facebook page to get the word out about the Step-It-Forward dance party sheorganized which will take place Friday, September 28, at the Pristine Place Clubhouse in Spring Hill.
As Haley explains,the Dawn Center is very close toher heart,"They helped me and my mom with counseling aboutfive years ago. I was just 7 and they were very helpful. It was an emotional time."
Haley'smom, Jennifer, supports her daughter's effortsand is glad Haley is paying it forward and benefitting the Dawn Center,"Very proud, very proud... I'm gonna cry, we've been through a lot together."
Itemsneeded by the Dawn Center:
- Twin size sheets and bath towels
- Copy paper
- Flour, seasonings, sugar, brown sugar
- Mayo, mustard, ketchup, relish, pickles
- Brownies, cake mix, muffins
- Canned fruit: peaches, pears, fruit cocktail
- Diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste
- Soups, broths, gravy, spaghetti sauce, Spaghettio's
- Rice - yellow, brown, white, Rice a Roni
- Onion soup mix, macaroni and cheese, pasta sides
- Pasta, elbow macaroni, spaghetti
- Canned tuna, canned chicken
- Salad (fresh) cucumbers, salad dressing
- Storage baggies, storage containers, aluminum foil, plastic wrap
- Laundry Detergent, dishwashing detergent
- Liquid hand soap (Refills)
- Toilet bowl cleaner, toilet bowl brushes
- Shower & tile cleaner
- Paper Towels &tissues
- Diapers (Size 3, 4, & 5)
- Frozen juice for the kids