LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Tampa, Florida -- The first lawsuit has been filed over a national meningitis outbreak. A Minnesota woman filed her suit in Federal Court on Friday.

Meantime, at least seven local clinics have pulled drugs they received from the company where officials say the contaminated steroid responsible for the outbreak came from.However, the clinics stress none of the drugs they pulled are linked to the outbreak, instead they were simply pulled done as a precaution.

So far, 14 people have died and another 185 people in 11 different states have gotten sick after getting tainted injections. Two of the deaths have occurred in Florida.

Officials say the contaminated steroids came from the New England Compounding Center in Massachusetts.

Health departments across the country have been working with clinics to contact the estimated 14,000 people who may have gotten a contaminated shot.

Dr. Carina Blackmore with the Florida Department of Health says complicating their efforts is the fact that the incubation period can last several weeks, meaning some people might initially think they are fine.

"The incubation period of this illness can be very long. We don't know for sure how long. We know that we have people that have had incubation periods of six weeks so we believe that's it's really important that these patients stay in touch with a doctor just in case they will develop a severe infection later," Blackmore said.

Symptoms include a worsening headache, fever, sensitivity to light, stiff neck, weakness or numbness and slurred speech.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wtsp.com/1fM7qkA