Tampa, Florida -- A Bay area mom is turning her grief into a way to help others. Angie Ammon's daughter died from alcohol overdose in March, 2011.

Angie explains what happened: "She left here at 9 o'clock Saturday night to go to the beach. We had spent the entire day together. She was stone cold sober when she left here because she had been working on a paper and she left to go to the beach. They were drinking. They knew she had had too much to drink. They probably all had. She was obviously impaired but making sense and being silly.

"They put her to bed. They thought they did everything right. They put her on her stomach because they had heard of people choking. They checked on her throughout the night.

"What happens is when you put somebody to bed their blood alcohol level continues to rise. So when you go to bed you might not have, Molly had a .4 when she died. It may not have been that high when they put her to bed.

"The alcohol slows down your breathing and if you slow it down enough, your heart stops. That's what happened with Molly. Molly didn't vomit or aspirate or any of those things. It was just... stopped her heart."

Now, nearly two years later, Angie speaks to various groups - teens, parents and mixed groups - about alcohol.

"The youth group at First Presbyterian Church, actually the senior girls' bible study asked me to come talk to the senior girls. It was a group of about 30 girls and they had friends they knew were drinking and these are all seniors in high school and they're getting ready to go away to college next year. Their youth minister asked me if I would come talk to the girls and I did. Just to educate the kids and the parents on the dangers of alcohol poisoning. All parents think their kids don't drink. And some of them are right. They don't. They're very lucky. But those kids that don't drink could be in a situation where they can save a friend's life. And those kids have to know what to do in case of an emergency."

At the beginning of Angie's speech, she tells kids, "Molly'sblood alcohol levelwas a .4, that's the equivalent of nine shots of vodka."

Kids often don't want to speak up about friends drinking because they are afraid of getting in trouble, or getting their friends in trouble, "So you get in trouble, minor in possession, so your parents are mad and take away your cell phone. Talk to her friends who found her dead. Ask them if they wouldn't rather be in so much trouble and have her back."

Sadly, while Molly isn't coming back, Angie knows sharing her message could help another teenager, another parent, another family.

"I know the very last word I said to her was that I loved her. The most important thing is never ever put an intoxicated friend to bed. You have to call and get help. I'm not sure if they had brought her home that I would have known to take her to an E.R. if she had been talking because when I was growing up you always put a drunk to bed.. let them sleep it off. It's the most dangerous thing you can do (sleep it off). I hope I am making a difference."

If you have a group you would like Angie Ammon to speak with, you can reach her at Molly Ammon Spring Break Awareness on Facebook.

Read or Share this story: