Lakeland, Florida-- Captain John H. Thomason of the Lakeland Police Department announced Tuesday that he will retire after Crime Analyst Sue Eberle accused him of texting her a lewd picture.
According to a report from LPD, the 55-year-oldcaptain was placed on administrative leave after the accusation, and was also given a notice of "intent to discipline" with a recommendation of termination.
No further details were released, officials said, because of an ongoing internal affairs investigation.
Captain Thomason's letter said his last day will be as soon as this Friday.
"Please accept this letter as notice that I am retiring effective Friday, 7-12-2013. I have been eligible for five years, but given the circumstances I will close this chapter in my life and move on," his letter began.
Thomason went on to thank all Lakeland locals, "civilian and sworn", before mention of any possible "failures" that may have lead to his decision.
"I recognize that each of us are only human and it is that human quality that makes each of you special, and it is also that quality that can fail," it says.
Thomason was employed with LPD for a total of 28 years.
Recent Lakeland PD stories:
- 10 News EXCLUSIVE: more unflattering pics surface of LPD
- Woman at center of LPD sex scandal comes forward
- Senator: Lakelnd Police needs Sheriff Judd
- Lakeland Chief "chats" about changing culture at dept.
- LPD Chief Womack faces council amid sex scandal
- State Attorney alleges Lakeland PD sexual misconduct
- More details on Lakeland PD sex scandal
- Lakeland Police have history of sex on job
- Lakeland Police make woman shake bra during search