Tampa, Florida - Four days after falling into a fire pit, a 2 year-old is recovering from his injuries at Tampa General Hospital.

The incident happened at the KOA campground in St. Petersburg on Sunday September 15th while celebrating Johnathan Moore's birthday.

As he was playing on a scooter, he lost his balance.

"[He] came to the edge of the patio, took a tumble off the patio right into the fire," said the child's father, John Moore.

While the pit was not fully engulfed in flames, it was still smoldering from the night before.

Family members rushed over to pull the boy out, but not before he suffered first and second degree burns to the torso, right arm and leg.

"I grabbed him... I got behind him.... he was holding my hand screaming daddy, daddy," said Moore.

The 34 year-old father said doctors have not given him a date for when his son will be released from the hospital, but his son is showing signs of improvement.

Not covered under insurance, his parents have opened up a fund at Regions Bank.

Anyone who wishes to donate to help with medical bills can deposit money directly into an account at any location under the name Johnathan M. Moore or make check payable to his mother, Tracey Fincher, but money is not the only thing needed by the family.

"If not anything just you know just keep him you know, keep him in your prayers."

Pinellas Co. Sheriff's investigators have ruled the child's fall into the fire pit an accident.

Read or Share this story: