LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Brandon, Florida-- Red Cross has been called to provide food, shelter and clothing to a Brandon man who lost his girlfriend and family cat in a tragic fire Monday afternoon.

According to Hillsborough Fire Rescue crews, the man, whose identity has not been released, came home from work to find his girlfriend on the floor in the foyer and their home engulfed inflames.

After he called 911, firefighter crews arrived to the home on Southwind Drive and found him inside giving his girlfriend CPR.

Photos: 1 dead, 1 injured in Brandon house fire

Medical personnel took over, reportedly performing advanced life support procedures as an ambulance took her to a local hospital, but officials say she was pronounced dead once she got there.

As for the man, he was evaluated and treated at the home and officials said medically, he will be okay.

Hillsborough Fire Rescue said the flames started as an accidental mattress fire inside one of the bedrooms. The home received heavy smoke damage throughout the home, and heavy fire damage to the bedroom.

Red Cross will reportedly be assisting the man by providing him with clothes, food and shelter in the wake of the tragedy.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wtsp.com/1cRpEAW