Tampa, Florida -- Due to a predicted drop in temperature for Hillsborough County, cold weather shelters will open Friday evening on January 3.
The shelters will be open for the homeless and those who live in homes without adequate heat. The National Weather Service expects the local wind chill factor to be near freezing temperatures beginning Friday evening through Saturday morning.
The following Hillsborough County shelters will be open:
- Brandon Community Center, 510 E. Sadie St. in Brandon. This shelter opens at 6 p.m. and is for homeless individuals and families with children in the Brandon Area. Phone: 813-635-8179
- Metropolitan Ministries, 2010 N. Florida Ave. in Tampa. This shelter opens at 4 p.m. and is for families. After hours phone: 813-209-1077
- Salvation Army, 1514 N. Florida Ave. in Tampa. This shelter opens at 4 p.m. and is only for adults. After hours phone: 813-221-4440
- Jackson Springs Recreation Center, 8620 Jackson Springs Road in Town 'N Country. This shelter opens at 6:30 p.m. and is for adults and families. Phone 813-554-5064
- Wimauma Community Center, 5705 Hillsborough St. in Wimauma. This shelter opens at 6 p.m. and is for adults and families. Phone 813-635-3500
The Brandon Community Center, Jackson Springs Recreation Center, and Wimauma Community Center are also accepting donations of shelter supplies, such as hats, gloves, scarves, blankets, disinfectant wipes, disposable cups, coffee, creamer, paper plates, plastic utensils and sugar. Those wishing to donate supplies should contact each individual shelter.