WASHINGTON (USA TODAY) - The scandal rocking New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's administration this week will top discussions on the Sunday political talk shows.
Christie, a Republican, was hammered over his administration's role in snarling traffic in retaliation against a Democratic mayor who didn't endorse Christie in his re-election bid. Christie fired a key staffer for her role in the scandal dubbed "Bridgegate.'' Christie is considered a potential presidential candidate in 2016.
Last week also marked the 50th anniversary since President Lyndon B. Johnson launched the government's ''war on poverty.'' Throughout the week, partisan rhetoric intensified as Democrats and Republicans debated whether the effort worked and what steps to take next.
Democrats say federal anti-poverty programs have improved conditions for many Americans and need to continue. Republicans disagree, saying the programs missed their mark and need to be overhauled.
Guests on the talk shows, including Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio and Maryland Democratic Rep. Elijah Cummings, will discuss those different approaches.
Here is the Sunday lineup:
• CBS' Face the Nation will feature Rubio to talk about the troubles facing Christie, his GOP colleague. New Jersey Assemblyman John Wisniewski, a Democrat who is leading the investigation into Christie's actions, will be a guest as well. Rubio will also talk about the GOP position on addressing the nation's poverty rate. Cummings, a former chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, will offer the Democratic view. Capt. Chesley "Sully'' Sullenberger, who was called a hero for safely landing US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River, will talk about that day five years ago and airline safety.
• NBC's Meet the Press will focus on Christie's challenges in an interview with Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus. The ''war on poverty'' will also be discussed as Maria Shriver talks about her report examining the impact of poverty on women and families.
• ABC's This Week will talk to former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani and Judy Smith, a crisis management expert and the inspiration for the show "Scandal," about the Christie scandal. With Mary Barra making news as the first female CEO of General Motors, the show will feature a panel to discuss women in the workplace. Guests include Carly Fiorina, former chairwoman of Hewlett-Packard, and Air Force Col. Jeannie Leavitt, the first female fighter pilot and first female active-duty fighter wing commander.
• Fox News Sunday will talk to Rep. Steve Southerland, R-Fla., who heads an anti-poverty Initiative for the conservative Republican Study Committee, and Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, the top Democrat on the House Budget Committee, about the ''war on poverty.'' Oklahoma Sen. James Inhofe, the top Republican on the Armed Services Committee, and Sen. Benjamin Cardin, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, will discuss reports of a resurgence of al-Qaeda n the Middle East.
• CNN's State of the Union will feature interviews with Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain and Maryland Democratic Gov. Martin O'Malley.
Check out some ofour mostread stories from 2013:
#shortyellows:Florida quietly shortened yellow lights
Terrorism Warning:Memo says terrorists practicing dry-runs on Florida flights
Kittens shot:Officer shoots kittens in front of children
Courtroom apology:Woman apologizes for flipping off judge
Controversial Club:College student organizes "White Student Union"
Warning Shot Wife:Mother gets 20 years for firing warning shots at abusive husband
Science Arrest:Teen girl arrested over science project explosion
Wait, WHAT??Dog shoots man in the leg with a handgun
Popular photo galleries:
Faces of Meth:Devastating before and after photos of meth abusers
Trayvon Martin Shooting:Trayvon Martin crime scene photos and George Zimmerman injury photos
Hooters Winners:Winners of the 2013 Hooters swimsuit pageant
Rejected:Funny Florida license plates rejected by the DMV***warning graphic***
Deadly sinkhole:Home collapses, man dies in giant sinkhole
Florida Sex Offenders:Look up sex offenders in any Florida neighborhood here
Restaurant Inspections:Look up inspection reports for any Florida restaurant here