Lakeland, FL -- Chief Lisa Womack called it an explanation, not a rebuttal.
Six hundredpages of documents addressing concerns raised last month by Polk State Attorney Jerry Hill.
"It is intended to be factual information as to what occurred," said Womack.
Case-by-case, detectives addressed allegations of sloppiness that are, in Hill's words, jeopardizing public safety by costing prosecutors convictions.
"We appreciate the input we get from outside agencies," said Lt. Steve Walker, who led the LPD investigation to Hill's allegations.
But inmany instances, Lt. Walkerfound Hill's accusations inaccurate or misleading. He said officers had, in fact, tried to reach sometimes-unwilling witnesses.The State Attorney's Office had, in fact,received reports Hill claimed they had not, and his office iseven re-filing some cases based on those revelations.
"It's not a blame game. It's not a finger-pointing," said Chief Womack. "Things happen. We have shown the appropriate paperwork on five or six of these cases. It's there or in their hands."
The department was still investigating some other accusations. Officers had been disciplined in some cases. In others, the lapses were chalked-up to antiquatedmessaging systems which were updated to electronic emails in late 2013.
Asked whether this would change his mind about firing Chief Womack, newly-elected Mayor Howard Wiggs was hesitant, wanting first to hear state attorney's response.
"He may, on all the things we came back on and said we're doing this and this and this -- he may say 'that's not the way to do it and I'll tell you why,'" said the mayor.
Lakeland Police also said it had a lower ratioofcomplaints than indicated when it comes to the department's911 call response.There were also only a handful of complaints regarding the issuance ofpublic records.
The next move, saysCity Manager Doug Thomas,is to meet with Jerry Hill and try to work out differences.
No date has been set.
Recent Lakeland PD stories:
- State Attorney alleges Lakeland PD sexual misconduct
- More details on Lakeland PD sex scandal
- Lakeland Police have history of sex on job
- Lakeland Police make woman shake bra during search
- Woman at center of LPD sex scandal comes forward
- 10 News EXCLUSIVE: more unflattering pics surface of LPD
- LPD Chief Womack faces council amid sex scandal
- Lakeland Chief "chats" about changing culture at dept.
- Sex scandal forces long-time Captain to retire
- Advisory board assigned to Lakeland PD sex scandal
- 2 police sergeants fired, another resigns
- 2 more LPD officers out of a job
- LPD Chief outlines next steps in sex scandal investigation
- Community commission gears up to examine LPD sex scandal
- Mayor disappointed after Lakeland PD panel resignations
- Lakeland fire inspector latest to quit in city's sex scandal
- Lakeland Police chief facing scrutiny
- Lakeland denies less-than-thorough vetting of Chief Womack
- Will yet another Lakeland PD scandal affect top brass?Lakeland Police officer charged with sexual battery, stalking
- State Attorney calls out Lakeland Police Chief
- Shocking 911 call released in LPD officer sex arrest
- Lakeland Commissioners call for Police Chief's job
You may also like...
Weird Florida:A look back at some of the strangest stories of the year
Miracle Baby:Tampa toddler has 5-organ transplant
Here kitty, kitty:Lion escapes enclosure at Pasco sanctuary
Animal tragedy:Girl's miniature horse attacked by dogs
#ShortYellows:Florida quietly shortened yellow lights
Kittens shot:Officer shoots kittens in front of children
Popular photo galleries:
Faces of Meth:Devastating before and after photos of meth abusers
Trayvon Martin Shooting:Trayvon Martin crime scene photos and George Zimmerman injury photos
Hooters Winners:Winners of the 2013 Hooters swimsuit pageant
Rejected:Funny Florida license plates rejected by the DMV***warning graphic***
Deadly sinkhole:Home collapses, man dies in giant sinkhole
Florida Sex Offenders:Look up sex offenders in any Florida neighborhood here
Restaurant Inspections:Look up inspection reports for any Florida restaurant here