The helmet-clad French pop duo swept the five categories it was in Sunday night at the 56th annual
"On the behalf of the robots, I'd just like to say, man, thank you," Williams said, accepting for the silent Daft Punk twosome and drawing a laugh from the crowd when mentioning they wanted to thank their families.
"Honestly, I bet France is really proud of these guys right now," Williams said later in the night, accepting the award for record of the year.
After their album of the year win, Daft Punk collaborator and songwriter Paul Williams joked that "back when I was drinking, I would imagine things that weren't there and I'd get frightened. Then I got sober and two robots called and asked me to make an album."
She may never be a royal, but Lorde lorded over the ceremony, too. The 17-year-old New Zealander's hitRoyalswon both song of the year - she's the youngest artist to ever win in that category - and best pop solo performance.
"I probably wouldn't be here if Joel wasn't here," Lorde (real name: Ella Yelich O'Connor) said, accepting song of the year with co-writer
Her success so far early in her career? "It's been mental," Lorde said.
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis also took their first Grammys by storm. The hip-hop duo was named best new artist, and they also won three major rap awards: best performance and best song for
"Before there was any media, before there was any buzz, before there was a story, there was our fans," Macklemore said when accepting the award for best new artist. "Without them, there would be no us."
- THE WINNERS:56th Grammy Awards
- HIGHLIGHTS:Performances light up the Grammys stage
- PHOTOS:The 2014 Grammy Awards red carpet
Williams, who was up for seven awards total, won his first Grammy of the night for producer of the year.
Jay Z entered the night with a leading nine nominations, won best rap-sung collaboration with
Bruno Mars dedicated his pop vocal album Grammy - for
Best country solo performance went to Darius Rucker'sWagon Wheel, while the
The best rock song category was conquered by the dream team of
Timberlake won two early Grammys:Suit & Tiewas named best music video, and
History was also made by
Among other winners announced prior to the telecast, Michael Buble'sTo Be Lovedwon best traditional pop vocal album,
Draco Rosa'sVidatook home best Latin pop album. Best spoken-word album went to comedian Stephen Colbert's
Mandisa's albumOvercomerand its title track won the Grammys for contemporary Christian music album and contemporary Christian song, respectively, and
In jazz categories, saxophonist
Three other Paul McCartney projects picked up Grammys:Wings Over Americafor best boxed set andLive Kissesfor best music film and surround sound. There were also a pair of tied categories -
You may also like...THE BIG NIGHT:
- Top things you should know about the Grammys
- PICS:Red carpet rolls out,stars strut their stuff
- And the winners are...
- Daft Punk wins big at Grammy Awards
- PICS:Performances light up the Grammys stage
- The 56th Annual Awards: A summary ofwho's up for what?
- Nominations 2014: Jay Z, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis on list
- Grammy nods: Did the most deserving artists prevail?
- The Grammy nominess by numbers: Jay Z (9) to Gaga (zip)
- How Sara Bareilles for a Grammy top-album nod
- These 10 collaborations rule the Grammy roost
- Spotify predicts Grammys for Macklemore, Imagine Dragons