Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya announced Tuesday that the airline will continue to provide food, hotel accommodations and transportation to the relatives of the missing passengers.

1 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

(USATODAY.com) - The fate of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 will remain a mystery for at least another day.

The attempts to locate the wreckage of the lost plane have been put on hold for at least 24 hours due to unsafe weather conditions in the search area, Australian Defense Minister David Johnston told reporters, Tuesday.

Story:No survivors: Malaysia Flight 370 'ended' in Indian Ocean

Johnston acknowledged the urgency of the search, but stressed that the part of the Indian Ocean where possible debris from the flight has been spotted is both dangerous and remote.

"We cannot put pilots and crews at risk; we cannot put ship's company at risk; we just have to deal with this location as best we can," Johnston said.

Flight crews from six nations are putting in exhaustive hours to search the area. Yet, the massive international search for signs of the plane's location has yet to produce any concrete evidence and no wreckage has been retrieved.

"Let's be clear, to this point in time we have not successfully identified and recovered any debris from the aircraft in question," Johnston said.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak says new data confirms that missing Malaysian Airline flight 370 ended its journey in the southern Indian Ocean. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

Mark Binskin, vice chief of the Australian Defense Force, did not understate the challenge still facing the searchers. "We're not searching for a needle in the haystack. We're still trying to define where the haystack is."

Despite the lack of a definitive discovery, Johnston believes the plane went down in the Indian Ocean, because that is the best theory out there.

Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya announced Tuesday that the airline will continue to provide food, hotel accommodations and transportation to the relatives of the missing passengers.

Ahmad also announced that the airline will give $5,000 to each missing passengers' next of kin.

"We recognize that financial support is not the only consideration, but the prolonged search is naturally placing financial strain on the relatives," Ahmad said. "We are therefore preparing to offer additional payment as the search continues."

In Beijing, furious relatives of the missing passengers marched on the Malaysia Embassy, Tuesday, and threw plastic water bottles, tried to rush the gate and chanted, "Liars!," according to the Associated Press.

Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

The Chinese government has demanded that Malaysia turn over the satellite data it used to determine that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 was crashed in the Indian Ocean with no survivors. Of the 239 people on board Flight 370, 153 were Chinese nationals.

Johnston was asked if he was surprised that Malaysian officials told the missing passengers' family members that all aboard the plane had died, before the wreck had been discovered.

"I am not surprised about anything with respect to this," Johnston said. "Until we recover and positively identify a piece of debris everything is virtually speculation."

Contributing: The Associated Press

1 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wtsp.com/QaQERN